Top young artists and designers from across the State were recognised for their creative flair at the official opening of the SACE Art Show last night.
The prestigious Poster Award was presented to Brighton Secondary School graduate Mikayla Stewart, for her leaf-inspired pendant light.
Her work will feature on the poster used to promote the SACE Art Show to schools and the broader community in 2018.
Two country students were also recognised with Regional Encouragement Awards on the night:
- Lemuel Madula, of Murray Bridge, for his acrylic painting, ‘Isolation’, capturing his feelings of solitude and disconnection as a new student in Australia; and
- Rosemary Prider, of Nuriootpa, for her abstract painting, ‘My time’, an acrylic painting on cardboard, inspired by Cubism.
The Flinders University Visual Arts Award was awarded to Pantelis Georgiadis, of Greenwith, for his body of photographic work, ‘Lutte’, inspired by American visual artist, Man Ray who used nude figures and monochromatic tones to convey a narrative.
The other winners at the SACE Art Show 2017 award include:
- Soraya Duke (UniSA Enterprising Artist Award) – for Kde Domov Můj?
- Joshua Kildare (Eckersley’s Encouragement Award) – for Wander to Wonder
- Coco Hoskin-Murray - for Cocobean
- Brody Gray - for logo and branding for the Southern Sharks
The remaining major prize – the Community Award, sponsored by Credit Union SA – will be announced in early May, and enables visitors to vote for their favourite art or design work throughout the six week exhibition. Those who cast their vote will go in the running for a prize valued at $500.
Quotes attributable to Education and Child Development Minister Susan Close
Thousands of students and members of the public are expected to visit the SACE Art Show over the next six weeks.
Judging by the 148 innovative art and design works on display, the exhibitors have bright futures ahead of them. It is inspiring to see young people conceive and make works of art and design, exploring skills with media, materials and technologies, and develop their own personal flair.
Quotes attributable to award winner Mikayla Stewart
I’ve grown up with design in my house, as my mum is a graphic designer. Design is always something I’ve wanted to do.
I plan to take a gap year, before studying Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) at the University of South Australia.
For further information, visit SACE Art Show on the SACE website.